Monday 19 September 2011

Exercise - Shutter speeds

This exercise is to examine how different shutter speeds affect the overall outcome of the photo.
Scene is by the side of the road photographing the cars that go by using a fixed camera on a tripod. Manual focus and an ISO of 400 is initially used. The camera was set to S (shutter priority) and advanced to 1/4000sec (the highest available setting for my camera) for the first photo then reduced as uniformly as possible until we came down to 1/10sec. The results are as follows:

1/4000sec


1/3000sec
1/2000sec
1/1200sec
1/800sex
1/500sec
1/400sec
1/250sec
1/160sec
1/100sec
1/50sec
1/30sec
1/20sec
1/10sec
At this shutter speed the van is seen to be perfectly static, almost as if it's parked. The lack of movement, albeit impressive, just doesn't sit well with this type of photo in my opinion.












Still perfectly still.














I would have to say that this is the slowest shutter speed where the movement is sharply frozen.











This shutter speed is starting to show the tell-tale signs of movement. There is a very slight blurring to the wheels and the car isn't as sharp as previously.











The movement blur is a lot more obvious at this shutter speed.














This shutter speed shows a lot more movement and you are starting to get a real sense of motion.











The writing on the side of this van shows the motion blur a lot more effectively.












The car is starting to elongate in this frame.












This is a very pleasing shot. I think the colour of the car really helps with the overall look of the photo.












Again, good motion blur which is very pleasing to the eye.











This shutter speed shows a real sense of motion and direction and I would have to say that this is my favourite photo of the set.











I have included all of the blown out photos as well. I believe that if I had some natural density filters fitted to my camera they wouldn't have been so overexposed.










Although overexposed this is still quite a satisfying shot. The car is getting almost indistinguishable as a car and is becoming more a slash of colour across the still scene.









This is the lowest setting I could get to and really not happy with this photo at all. It's photos like this that get me very unhappy with the limitations I have with the equipment I use.






No comments:

Post a Comment