Wednesday 21 September 2011

Exercise - Fitting the frame to the subject.

For this exercise I am asked to find something clear and compact that must be accessible from both near and far. I enjoy photographing old houses and architecture so I chose the Weald and Downland Open air Museum, West Sussex, to look round to see if I could find anything there. The subject I chose to photograph was a beautiful old thatched granary, which I felt fitted the bill very well. Equipment used was Fujifilm S100fs camera, handheld, in aperture mode which was set to F6.4.

Photo #1

Photo #1 is my standard photo, this is how I would normally take this picture (apart from I would normally have the camera set to [AUTO] mode).

Photo #2
Photo #3
Photos #2 and #3 where both my attempts to fit the subject into the whole frame. Photo #2 was fun as the roof seemed to naturally work it's way into the corner and I have never taken photos with the camera tilted before. As a side experiment I decided to crop the grass off left hand side of photo #2 to see if the overall effect would look better.

Photo #2 cropped.








After cropping I found this photo to be a lot more pleasing to look at.











Photo #4
Photo #4 I have moved right up to the building and photographed it so that I can't see any defined edges. This draws your attention to what the subject is composed of and the contrast between the bricks and the oak beams are a lot clearer. Found this the most difficult shot as I am not used to photographing just a part of a subject.

Photo #5
Photo #6
Photo #5 & photo #6 are my attempts at capturing the object with it's surroundings. I prefer photo #6 even though it is really overexposed because the building in the background and the fence really add to the age and setting of this building.

Photo #6 Cropped and edited


I have cropped and edited the levels on photo #6 so that it is more pleasing to my eye. Very happy with this but could possibly have cropped a little more off the right hand side.

No comments:

Post a Comment