Thursday 15 September 2011

Exercise - Focal length and angle of view.

Camera used: Fujifilm S100fs with fixed 400mm lens.

Firstly I needed to find the standard focal length for my camera, the distance at which the viewfinder most closely matches the scene as viewed with the naked eye. After a bit of playing around I found this to be approx 100mm which sounded wrong but I double checked and the result was the same.

Standard - 100mm




This is the photo taken at the standard focal length. When printed out I found that it matched the scene when it was held roughly 67cm away from me.








Wide angle - 28mm




This is the view from the same position when the lens is set to 28mm. When printed and held out in front of me it matched the scene at only 16cm away, a lot closer than the standard setting.







Telephoto - 400mm



For this photo the full telephoto was used @ 400mm. With all three photos the large red ball was the focal point. Again, this photo was printed onto A4 and held in front of me. Using my beautiful assistant Karen I found the distance this time was approx 230cm

No comments:

Post a Comment